Spoiler: If you have seen Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, (and the movies after that one) you probably remember the prophecy. Harry and his friends goes to the Ministry of Magic, to “save” Sirius and there they encounter the prophecy room, which includes Harrys own prophecy.
Inspired by that very prophecy I wanted to try to make one. Found a reference photo on the internet (see below). In the movie we mostly see the orb itself, and not the base that much. But the base is the fun part to make, so here we go.
I ignored the whole black block, which is not really a part of it. Just something it stands on when they sell it at The Noble Collection or wherever they sell it. Started out with Fimo Clay to create the dragons. Are they dragons? Someone here with more knowlegde of mythical creatures?
Gave them a light roast in the oven, as per the instructions on the package. While the dragons were chillin’ in the heat I sprayed the ‘orb’ with Satin Lacquer.
For the orb I used one of these “DIY christmas ornament baubles”. Can you tell I have no clue what to call it whatsoever? When the varnish/lacquer was completly dry, I cut of the little protruding bits. Should probably have done that before I sprayed them, but hey, it worked fine. Stuffed the bauble with iridescent foil to make it look a little more like in the movie. As you can see in the reference pic, there is nothing in the orb there, but in the movie it has this kind of swirling blue-white smoke… Yeah. My description might leave something to be desired. See the movie or google it, and you’ll know what I mean.
Anyway, my dragons were done with their roasting and cooling and I proceeded to paint. I used spray paint in the exciting color gold. Had to do it in several turns to make sure every angle was covered.
When dry, I painted it a little more. This time I went over with black to enhance the details. You paint with black and then you wipe it off with a cloth or something. Some of the black will remain in the creases.
In the picture above you can see the difference before (right) and after (left) I have applied some black paint. It’s not that much of a difference, but it gives an aged feel to it. Leave it to dry for one last time. Then I put my orb and dragons together, and it is complete. One could glue the orb to the base, but I wanted to be able to take them apart, so it’s just resting on top.
If you compare it to the reference photo, you’ll see that they aren’t that similar, but it was fun to make and I am happy with it.
A while ago I saw this tutorial from TheCraftMaiden;
Last week it was time to try it myself. It was real fun, and such a sense of accomplishment when you have the finished egg. My egg turned out a little different than hers, because of access to materials and level of skills. To me it was the first time ever using worbla and soldering iron, so my lines weren’t as neat and clean as hers, but still!
Included some pictures of my project as well as my finished egg. If you have questions to anything you see of mine, feel free to ask.
I can add that I did not include lights. I had some fairy lights at first, but decided to leave it out because it was troublesome to turn them on and off, and the egg got a little heavy on one side because of the batteries and the egg fell over every now and then.
Another DIY-video! Totally stole the idea from Pinterest, and other crafters, but wanted to give it a go and figured I just as well could show you guys how I made it. You can make smaller ones as well, and turn them into a pendant necklace, charm bracelet or even earrings.
I would love to hear your experiences in completing this DIY, so feel free to leave a comment below!
Just made this video, where I show you how I made my very own Hogwarts Trunk. It can be made from all kind of sizes. I thought this suitcase was the perfect size for me to keep the movies, and some other items in. What you guys think?
A few months back I saw this blogpost over at Juliette, and she had made this wonderful advent calendar. I simply had to make one for myself. She had templates and step by step explanations. I got everything I needed. Since her template was in french, I decided to do some alteration, namely changing the words from french to norwegian (since I don’t really speak french). I also had to try and fail a couple of times to get the templates to the right size for my box. I guess if you do not alter them they would fit perfectly.
Anyway, here are some pictures of my project. As you can see it is not as neat as Juliette, and I did blue glitter instead of gold. But I love it!
On the back I wrote: “24 magical days”.
Again, you can find the post with templates and everything right HERE. It is in french, but you could allow google translate to translate the page for you. It will not be perfect, but you get the gist.